Saturday, March 6, 2010

Judged

I love Disgrace (By JM Coetzee) to the max.

Disgrace is a novel that triggers critical thinking, and it presents me with insightful perspectives to all possible things around me.

My literature teacher raised this issue a few weeks ago, while going through the text with the class:

"Who is qualify to speak for who?"

I find people who does not understand my plight, who doesn't understand me, and yet goes around trying to justify my decisions or criticize me, based on their judgments are simply annoying.

Then I realised...
Maybe thats why she chose to reject the help offered?
Because she felt that no one is qualified to speak for her/ judge her because they will never be able to understand her?
Just like how I find it irritating, I guess she felt that too?

Imposing personal views and judgments on to someone could be burdening and suffocating. (Well, at the very least, I felt that way.)

The funny thing is, as much as I've said above (that I "violently" reject judgments from other people.) still... ...

I'm judgmental.


Sense the irony?

Jean